Friday, July 13, 2012

wondering on wondering

I'm a wonderer.  Always have been. Wondering is something that I do, but I feel like too often lately my wondering is more the practical type and less the creative, open type.  Like, "I wonder if I'll be able to refinance my house," or "I wonder if this presentation will meet the needs of a particular group that I am presenting to."

This type of wondering is important, but I'm not feeling like it's the wondering that Fletcher is speaking about.   So, I'm wondering why these days I'm feeling less of a sense of wondering about the cool, open, unexplainable things that surround me.  I wonder if the reason is because, as Fletcher says, "writing about what you wonder about isn't as easy as it sounds.  It takes honesty and courage."

I wonder if  I my recent tendency to wonder about the practical is the low road, maybe I need to take tougher look at myself and force myself into some deeper, more personal spaces of wondering.  Fletcher is right that, "as a writer, you need to know what you wonder about."  And as a person you need to also.  It makes sense to me that the less real wondering that one does, the less curious and critical one becomes.

My daybook is a perfect place for this.  I wonder why I'm wondering in this space here.

No comments:

Post a Comment