Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 1 of SI: Reflecting on tech use...

What, it's 2:30?  It feels like the day just started.  I shouldn't be surprised, though. Everything Writing Project related seems to move pretty quickly.  

I'm still thinking about the direction of my inquiry, but I have a few things that I'm thinking about.  There has been a lot of talk recently about different ways in which technology can/should be integrated into education.  Sally and I were talking about what companies like Microsoft and Apple were doing to be involved in the process.  I'm sure that there are plenty of other companies out there looking to capitalize on the movement as well.  

So, I'm thinking about the popular trends that I'm seeing alongside what I know to be true of good teaching and the role of technology in the process.  

The three areas that are at the front of my mind are 1to1 iPad integration, the flipped classroom model, any using technology to gather organize data. 

Initially, I'm feeling that these trends represent technology integration that may not necessarily be in the best interest of resources to promote learning.  

Why iPads and not the more functional laptop?  Does the flipped model do anything more than just restructure the traditional model of teaching, moving pieces around?  Are we misusing time and resources when we put kids in front of computers for the sake if collecting data from programs developed by textbook publishers?  

Without question, the move towards technology integration is a good thing.....it needs to happen.  But there needs to be a reason why, a reason that supports that type of learning that needs to happen in schools and within our society.  A reason that draws upon the potential of technology to inform, create, collaborate, and share.  

No comments:

Post a Comment