Monday, July 9, 2012

getting writing groups right



Seems like the structure of writing group conferences was a common concern among most of the group.  On one hand, we want students to be engaged in learning the objectives of a particular lesson.  On the other, when it comes to the type of response that writers need, there is a wide range of response types that are helpful.  More than that which can be structured.  I've wrestled quite a bit with this, and while I still am contemplating how to make writing groups better/more productive/more helpful for writers, I feel like I am in a better place now with my students than I ever have been.

I'm coming to see that there are multiple pieces that determine whether or not the group will work.  Student personalities are part of it, and while space should be given for the group to develop a relationship, this is the least of the areas that I feel the teacher can control.

Knowing how to respond is pretty important.  Yep...it should be modeled and practiced.

But what I'm finding to be the most important are how much students value their writing and the flexibility students have for their responding.  If their writing isn't important, it doesn't matter how engaged their responders are...the responses will fall on deaf ears.  And when I think of my own writing, I don't always need responses at the same place in my writing for each piece.  My needs as a writer with each piece are different, so the structure that needs to be in place for meeting with writing groups ought to be structured accordingly.

These two pieces seem to be the stickiest for me, and most others, it seems.


No comments:

Post a Comment