Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Rethinking cultivating critical perspectives on day 4

I'm feeling like today in SI was the quickest thus far.  I don't think that there was a time in where my thinking was off.  Ideas were moving around my mind continuously, and since the last part of today is the most fresh, that's where my writing here today will be.

Rashid's demo at the end really has my mind reeling.  I'm thinking back to my own classroom, my own practices.  I think that fostering the development of this critical lens is something that I've always tried to do.  Sometimes I've been successful.  Sometimes not.  Sometimes I've taken an approach similar to Rashid's.  What's got me thinking is must as much, if not more, about the experience than the method.

What I got the most from was taking on the student role.  I got to feel the wrestling with ideas that I want my students to do.  That experience, shapes me more as a teacher than anything else.

It's the same way with teaching writing.  Having the experience of writing transformed my approach to teaching writing.

So now, I'm thinking back about the experiences that I create for students in my classroom.  Thinking about the moves that I can make as a teacher to make them wrestle with ideas.  Thinking about the importance of my own wrestling out loud, in front of them.

---


No comments:

Post a Comment