Thursday, July 18, 2013

Linda Davis and a meme set

Dear Writing Project,

I've got to be honest with you.  I've started this post three times already and just can't seem to get it right.  I'm not sure what block I keep hitting.  I think I've hit the backspace key more than any other on my keyboard since I first started typing this post about 45 minutes ago.  There was once a time in my life when I would have got so frustrated when the words weren't coming that I would quit. But I know better now.  I know that if I step away for a minute and do something else that it'll all come to me.

Maybe if I make a meme, it'll come to me.  I've been meaning to make one for the clmooc, and I bet if I do, then my writing ideas will start flowing.


So I guess if nothing else, in attempting to write this post I created my first meme.   Now, to get back on track....

Nothing.  Maybe more meme making will do the trick...



Nope..maybe something smarter...




Still nothing.....maybe my daybook might give me some inspiration...

Sat down to write blog daybook in hand. Wrote paragraph on being stuck.  Clicked view blog and read old posts.  Switched over to type on blog.  Wrote sentence that didn't make sense. Held down backspace, rewrote, backspace again.  Opened up Google Plus in a new tab.  Felt bad for lurking in #clmooc.  Realized I never made a meme. Wrote how thought that meme making would generate writing but that was a lie.  Just wanted to make meme because writing was hard. Made meme and felt bad for lying in blog post. Inserted memes in blog anyway and didn't delete lie. Decided to leave in first Dos Equis Meme even though stupid. Thought about deleting the failed starts collecting at bottom of page.  Put down computer. Walked around coffee table twice. Went to find powercord because battery was at four percent.  Got beer from the refrigerator. Plugged in power cord and read #unccwp twitter hashtag. Took sip of beer. Reread writing and decided it sounded lame. Thought Foucault and a Pencil sounds real-time but was likely written after fact. Wondering if I am right. Continued writing to trick self into writing but stopped and thought that blog post may work after all.  Reread failed starts at bottom of page. Resisted the urge to rewrite to sound smart.  Rearranged memes to show progression of thinking. Re-saw Dos Equis meme and failed starts and was excited. Resisted urge to wake up Tiffany to read breakthrough blog post.

ahhh.  Perhaps this may just be one of those nights that writing wasn't meant to be for me.  But I did write, and that's important, right? I remember advice for writers that in order to be a writer you must write every day, even if it is garbage, just write.  I don't remember anyone every saying anything about publishing this garbage, though. This is probably the stuff that's best kept as a draft.   Maybe that's what I need...to take the pressure off of myself.

What has been most valuable for me this week is the time and the space to write.  There is just always so much to do, and I guess that part of me understands why teachers, particularly English teachers, aren't writers themselves.  It's difficult, time consuming, forces us into a vulnerable spot.  I would just get up I think that
part of me may be a little nervous....the finality of a final post, the need for the post to capture an experience that, if words were able to capture, would need more space and time then this task allows.  I don't think that I write well under
I looked back over my old posts and was amazed by both how much I have written this past week and how coherent some of my thinking was. I still don't know what to say. I looked back over my post from last year during SI and

I still don't know what to say.

I appreciate the space provided

Dear Writing Project

It's been an exciting few years.

uhhhh

We're going on four year now since we first met, and even though we always wobble...

4 comments:

  1. Dude, this is the best post ever. Thank you for this read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wobbling works for me, but I hear the frustration that you were having, too, and wonder about the point of so many teachers not seeing themselves as writers. Certainly, NWP works to change that perception, but it doesn't always catch. I appreciated the wobbling of your prose here because it felt real to me, an inside look at thinking out loud. And yeah, the memes rocked. It was interesting to try to pull together a thread of ideas over a series of memes, I bet (five paragraph essay told in five memes? Challenge)
    :)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing requires constant re-invoking the Muse as Steven Pressfield argues in his book The War of Art. I think you manage to reinvoke the creative heart of yourself over and over with the memes. A very clever and effective sidestep. Alright and glad to see you on #clmooc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, this was even better with the picture lead in; very risky and very hilarious and rewarding. Also, a great rendition of 'Foucault and Pencil,' it makes me want to meme!

    ReplyDelete